Monday, April 7, 2008

Parents.






















I don't know why but it seems lately that my friends and ones close to me have had some not-happy-faced encounters with their parents.  The situations totally vary but they all seem to end with 'argh! my mom (or dad, or both) are just pissing the f*** out of me!" or something along those lines.  Honestly within the last 24 hours I'd say that at least a handful of my friends have commented on something near that statement.

Why is that?

What is it about our age that makes our parents seem like the need to start controlling us...again?

I mean, we live with them for 18 years...some of us longer than others, they teach us their ways, instill values and morals inside of us hoping that when we venture off into the world that they have taught us well.  Actually some of them don't really want us to venture at all, some would prefer for us to stay home.  And some would like us to leave as well.

I feel like once we get into college and they start to feel that 'loss' and the 'empty nest' syndrome kicks in that they need to come back to that at some point down the road and start to tell us what to do again.  I'm not saying that we don't welcome any advice that they may have for us, that will always be taken, and taken warmly at that.  All I am saying is that parents, when they have children around our age (early to mid 20s), feel the need to start giving a little too much advice...maybe even try to start to 'parent' us again.  Bad idea.  We don't take to that very well.

For all of my friends out there who are dealing with this unfortunate happening, and I am pretty sure every single person has gone through with their own parents, I hope that it passes.  (Friend I am talking to you...and to the person who is sitting next to me right now).  Let us all hope that our parents will learn to understand that we really do know what we are doing and we are not going to go crazy and make (really) bad decisions.  Let them give us advice, let them have at least that much to look forward to, that way they can feel like they are doing their job and doing their job well.  

This is the time in our lives where we should be out exploring new things, trying out different opportunities that cross our paths, meeting new people, experiencing the world.  Don't let anyone tell you differently...this is OUR time.

And ps: Mom this was totally not directed at you...I know you love me for the all-over-the-place daughter I am and I can never thank you enough for that!  Thank youuuuuu!

No comments: